Mubesko Africa’s MD Nico de Kock feels that the stellar performances of some municipalities can provide lessons to non-performing performing municipalities, while also showing communities that they shouldn’t settle for anything less than promised service delivery.
Nico, who has consulted to many of South Africa’s top-performing municipalities, lists some of the traits of successful per forming municipalities.
- Commitment: Mentoring and people development is a priority, encouraging ongoing learning and growth.
- Empowered: Never see Acts and Regulations as inhibitors but rather, well-considered governance to ensure ser vice delivery.
- Apolitical: While the mayor is a political appointment, the municipal executive and management focus on delivering ser vices to their communities.
- Decisive: Decisions are well-considered and compliant, but once a solution is agreed, it is activated and delivered.
- Leadership: The mayor and executive team lead by example, whether that involves compliance, delivery, or desired behaviour.
- Insight: A clear understanding of what at tracts or repels investors and funders.
- Humility: The sense that they are just doing their jobs to the ver y best of their ability, with an understanding that they have but one purpose – service delivery!
“The high-performing municipalities should serve as an inspiration to South Africans. We tend to pigeon-hole municipal officials in a negative way – and many certainly earn that dubious distinction – but there are municipalities who are doing exceptional work, and we can be proud of them”.
Mubesko Africa is a consulting practice which offers financial accounting and management solutions, asset accounting, and fraud investigation services to the private and public sectors. Mubesko’s key value lies in the natural convergence of these three disciplines, which provide depth and width to our services.